Friday, July 11, 2014

Unconventional World Cup Viewing

With the World Cup nearing its conclusion, there aren't a lot more opportunities to gain new experiences in watching the tournament.  I've watched most of the matches from the comfort of my living room either alone or with my dad, but I was still able to find some more exotic viewing locales and people to watch with.  Perhaps you can experience a few of them this weekend, or at least keep them in mind for 2018.
1. Half Asleep sitting at an airport bar
This was the perch I had found myself in for the group fixture between Uruguay and Costa Rica, in Chicago's Midway Airport on my way home from school.  The game was only playing in bars, so my dad and I set up in one and ordered an endless stream of cokes for fear of the indignity of actually being asked to leave an airport bar.  After a sleep deprived finals week, the cokes were enough to keep me awake, barely.  At least enough to look up every once in a while and see the replay of Costa Rica scoring yet another goal while wondering what had happened to Uruguay.  Perhaps it is fitting that in this most inauspicious of places I would witness both the beginning of Costa Rica's utterly unexpected quarterfinal run and a preview of Uruguay's lifeless(ie, Luis Suarez-less) defeat against Colombia.  I can't have been in a great state of mind at the time, since I remember deciding for a few moments that Uruguay would win the tournament based entirely off of Edinson Cavali's threatening demeanor.  As it turned out, he had more bark than bite, or at least less bite than Suarez.  He had fewer goals too.  I followed up this match by sleeping through most of England-Italy.  I don't think England fans will be too upset with me.  Overall I can't recommend the airport bar as a viable viewing area.
2. Watching Penalty Shoot-outs with your mom
There's a large camp of football fans who hate penalty shoot-outs.  If you're English, it's practically a requirement.  But they do set the heart racing, even if you have no rooting interest in the match.  And it's inevitably heartbreaking, as it forces the players to be perfect; each tiny miscue here is a soul-crushing disaster. The pain of defeat is magnified tenfold and its ending will result in more congregated grown men crying then you will see on any other occasion.  There have been a record-tying four shoot-outs in this World Cup, and I'm pretty sure that my mom has been present for all of them.  And somehow, all four times she's ended up pulling for the team that ended up losing.  Or maybe it just feels that way, since she's particularly quick to sympathize for the runner up in a situation where sympathy already comes easily.  It's a tough spot with my tendency to harden up when a team I like but am not officially supporting loses.  My mom inevitably makes me second guess my own empathy.  An experience unlike any other.
3. Small TV with a spotty signal in your dad's office
Had it been any other match, I probably just would've forgone it and enjoyed my day out in the city.  But this was US damn it.  And by that I mean the U.S. of course.  One of the best efforts by one man during the tournament.  One of the worst by a team.  But I've written about that.  As you might guess, the venue did not exactly improve the viewing experience.  The TV was a bit on the small side but more importantly very high near the ceiling, meaning you had to crane your neck up to watch.  The thing was tied to some kind of central server or cable box, causing the image to skip every couple of seconds.  Then there was the slightly awkward environment of a legal office lounge.  As best I can tell, law is a profession that's white collar enough to allow good leeway to its employees, but demanding enough to keep the pressure on. As one of them noted, the game started too early to justify going home to watch it, but too late to stay at the office afterword for a full day's worth of productivity. So the lounge is filled with lawyers who feel comfortable enough taking a break to watch the football, but just uncomfortable enough with the work in the back of their minds that everyone just kind of stands in subdued silence.  A silence only to be broken with a resounding groan at Chris Wondolowki's Wonder-Shank at the 90th minute. 
4. Any game with your sarcastic Scottish uncle
I think it is a profound shame that so many in the world watch this tournament but relatively few have the privilege of a sarcastic Scottish uncle to watch with.  He has the cynicism of an English fan but none of the bitterness associated with actually having a team enter and fail in the tournament.  This, combined with being a virtual encyclopedia of 40+ years of football knowledge, makes him a treat for any viewing experience.  He'll know the club of all major players in the field, plus their various short comings.  He'll have hilarious anecdotes about footballers and World Cups past as well as depressing ones.  With him, they are like a wacky Venn diagram with a huge crossover.  And just like your Scottish dad, he has a near infallible sense for when a team is soon to score.
5. That Brazil-Germany game with your brother

My brother doesn't watch sports all that often, but one factor never fails to entice him viewership: humiliation.  Perhaps this should concern me, but considering I rarely see this mean streak in his daily life I just kind of roll with it.  It is appropriate that Germans coined the word schadenfreude, the only word I am aware of that expresses joy in another's misery, seeing as they were responsible for the best implementation of said word in recent history.  I don't know if I have the words for Germany's win asskicking annihilation(?) of Brazil.  It's almost certainly the most devastating loss in the history of football and may well be in the history of sports.  So what is there left to do but laugh?  I could not help but feel a bit giggly from my bro's horrified yet contagious enthusiasm for what he was witnessing. Although, I imagine that wherever and with whoever I watched this match it would've left an impression.  It certainly has on Brazil.     

No comments:

Post a Comment